I've been pressing on with various bits of painting in the last week or so (after being distracted for a while sorting and painting various historical projects). The first lot off the bench are some Ork models to round out the fully painted collection to 1500 pts or so, which will allow us to do the next game in the Space Wolves storyline in our campaign...
First up are a couple of support weapons - a Splatta Cannon and a Squig Catapult. These have been painted up as Goff Clan. No real reason, except when I first started slapping the paint on these quite a while back when I had a bit less variety in Ork Clans, so these were done to compliment the monopose Goffs.
Eagle-eyed readers will note that only one of the crew is an original 2nd Ed grot, and the others are more recent. I should have some metal crew around, but multiple searches of boxes in the garage have not revealed them, so I have assumed they have vanished in one house move or another at some point.
Next up are a trio of Goffs, to round out the small unit that tends to go riding around in the battlewagon. The star of the trio is the Games Day Nob (I think Games Day '98 off the top of my head, though I could be wrong). I didn't go to this Games Day (the ones I went to were 1999 - 2003), though my brother may have done, or possibly he asked someone to get it... it's a long time ago and I can't remember! We did play quite a bit of GorkaMorka back in the day in any case.
I actually have another of this Nob, but he has had a head swap to lead a mob of Evil Sunz. I'm sure he will turn up at somepoint when that unit is finished.
In game terms, this unit tends to ride around in a battlewagon, jumping out and hurling krak stikkbombs at things and trying to get into combat. For a while I did contemplate using the battlewagon as a transport for my warboss, but given 2nd edition damage charts are rather unforgiving for transported models, a cheap mob of Goffs get to ride around instead, and it actually means they do see combat now and again, rather than slowly trudging across the board.
Finally, a Rogue Trader era Ork War Buggy with Heavy Plasma Gun. This was a fairly recent eBay purchase. Back in the day I had a few of the plastic/metal GorkaMorka era ones (I think we had one or two of the plastic ones with the multimelta, and one with the metal rokkit buggy upgrades). Those models have long since disapeared, and I figured getting one of the RT ones would be a nice change (I'm not keen on the plastic ork crew on the 2nd ed ones to be honest). I have to say this model was a pain to put together - small contact points and so on meant that it felt very fragile without the base.
And finally a group shot of the painted Orks so far! This is slightly more than 1500pts, which means a few boyz and the odd snotling base get dropped for some games. I have a ton more old Orks to get done up at some point (probably finishing the Stormboyz next, or maybe the Evil Sunz so I can take the DrSpork GobSmashas I have sat around). At some point I intend to get a few more support weapons (it would be nice to have one of each type) and some warbikes/traks to round out the fast bits. These will probably wait a while though - there are a few more projects I want to get done to reasonably sized forces first (Squats, Tyranids, and potentially the slow burn Harlequins as well).
No comments:
Post a Comment